From DepEd Communication Division
March 11, 2022 – The Department of Education (DepEd) announces the Philippines’ participation in the 2022 cycle of the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
This decision of DepEd is aligned with Sulong Edukalidad, which is its ongoing program to improve education quality in the country. System assessments such as PISA and DepEd’s National Achievement Test (NAT) provide the necessary feedback to inform policy decisions and reforms. As articulated in DepEd Order No. 29, s. 2017 entitled “Policy Guidelines on System Assessment in the K to 12 Basic Education Program”, system assessments are implemented for the following purposes:
1. Establish baselines for the basic education system and the implementation of the K to 12 curriculum in schools in terms of teaching and learning.
2. Monitor the implementation of the K to 12 curriculum in schools in terms of teaching and learning.
3. Measure effectiveness of instructional reforms that are part of the K to 12 basic education program.
4. Generate reliable data for purposes of international benchmarking.
5. Provide bases for the improvement of programs for learner development, curriculum implementation and school effectiveness.
6. Provide evidence that will aid policy formulation, planning, and programming at the division, regional, and national levels.
Consistency in participation in assessment allows for continuity of data for monitoring improvements and for identifying gaps as well as areas of growth for basic education.
We call on our partners and stakeholders to continue supporting our reforms and programs for advancing the quality of education in the country. We request our friends from the media to allow our participating schools and students the space and time to proceed with the assessment without undue distraction. DepEd shall provide further details on the conduct of PISA in the country in a press conference dedicated for the purpose, after completion of the assessment in May 2022.
For background information on the PISA 2022 assessment frameworks, you may visit https://www.oecd.org/pisa/publications/pisa-2021-assessment-and-analytical-framework.htm.